Reflections

Reflections
Waiting for Ripples

Monday, June 3, 2013

Songs

It is amazing to me how hearing a song can take you to a different place / time / age / whatever just by hearing them.  I have songs that I have heard or sang all my life.  I have songs that have meant something to me.  Songs I have shared with someone as "our song."  Some songs I listen to and sing along with.  Some make my heart hurt and I change the station.  Some I just smile and laugh with.  Some make me think of a special person in my life and want to call them or just miss them.  Some make me wish I could go back in time.  And I wonder what that person is doing.  One song I hear takes me back to a time in college that was really rough.  Room mate issues.  One of my room mates and I staying up late with that song on repeat.  Talking. Praying. Crying.  Another takes me to when I knew my Dad was sick and not going to get better.  Some came out while we were in Mongolia and hold special memories there.  One song I learned in Russian and I always want to sing it in Russian still many years later.  Some songs came out while we were building our house and so hold those special memories.  I guess the song does remember.  Transports us through time and memories.  Maybe when we hear those songs it makes our lives a little richer.  I read a saying the other day that I thought was good, "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened."  May we enjoy those songs and the rich memories they remind us of.  May we smile because of the song and the person or the memories that make that song special to our lives.  Who knows  maybe the other person is listening too and together the memory is made richer.  So smile because it happened and the song does go on.  It doesn't have to be over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment