Reflections

Reflections
Waiting for Ripples

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sizes... What is BIG?


In my family I am the smallest person.  All my siblings are taller.  My one nephew has passed me up and I figure that most of them will as my son is now trying to as well.   And in reality will pass me sooner than later.  In my husband’s family though, I am as tall or taller than all the men.  As I have worked out and worked hard all my life I am pretty strong as well and not a small delicate frame.  Making me a capable and active person.  I enjoyed this last couple of years  in projects.  Of making a dream into a reality.  Turning pictures in my head into one on the ground.  My size didn’t hurt in getting things done even if the contractors did call me an elf. 

As we have been traveling the last few days we have seen a variety of sizes.  In people for sure.  But also in man made things.  We flew out of Boise on a medium size plane.  Still seating over 250 people.  In Denver  landing on a runway near a newer airport.  Also huge.  Arriving Miami and walking – according to Mom’s pedometer over a half mile one way to get to the other end of the baggage claim area.  Feeling small.  Arriving at the docks to find our boat.  Semi –trucks and shipping containers – full sized – usually seeming huge now dwarfed by the gigantic ship.   Huge cargo ships next dock over.  Dwarfing the cranes and containers.  The true meaning of PanaMAX.  Getting on a cruise ship is like moving into a new town.  Wandering around a bit lost.  Figuring out where to go for what.  Important things like where is the stateroom.  The kids play area.  The promenade deck that you can make 3 laps around and you have walked a mile.  A big ship.  19 decks. Most you can enter.  Some are not full decks, but still a big boat.  A floating city.  As we left Miami though and are now a whole days sailing from the mainland you realize how small we really are.  As people.  Here we are on the seemingly huge boat and now in the middle of the VAST ocean feeling so small.  So insignificant.  So puny.  So vulnerable.  In the big picture of the world we are so tiny.  And yet all our thoughts are important.  There is a BIG God who does care for each and every one of us.  Who wants us to make good choices.  Who desires us to follow him.  Who cares about us more deeply than we can imagine.  Truly amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment